Whimsical boots




I had made it my goal to finish several of my unfinished pieces. But as they say: life happens. I injured my shoulder and was out of commission for almost 2 months. I'm slowly recovering and getting back to everything I love. I promised myself to blog more regularly even if it's going to be about past pieces.


I remember the day Bob put these boots out for us to draw. Most of us in class are typically drawn to life - fruit, flowers, flowing drapery, fresh cut vegetables, and to warm lighting. Boots lit up in cool white light was hardly a subject I would've desired to draw. However, something in it was enticing and challenging at the same time. I lingered for a little while and then set my easel up to draw.

I have newfound respect for cool lighting. I surprised myself at the range of colors I started to notice as I went deeper into the session. The boots seemed a drab shade of brown to begin with. New shades of purple, green, orange, and ever present greys seemed to creep... I hastily put notes of pastels lest I stop seeing the rainbow that my brain was making my eyes see that day.

This is the thing about still life that amazes me. It is a meditative process - where the artist becomes one with the subject, and starts to see it's several colors, it's mood on a particular day, and then tries to translate her understanding of the depth of its connection on canvas. That meaningful connection sometimes is so evident to appreciators of art - I've found that the pieces that have captivated my friends have always been pieces that I've enjoyed creating the most. Says a lot about the process. Forces my left brain to marry the right brain and believe in the art of the science of drawing and wants me to mindfully observe my emotional response to the subject.


Comments

Popular Posts